Around a decade ago my friend Jonathan Holmes and I started doing an eastern renaissance skirmish project. I bought a whole host of Polish From The Assault Group. Jon was going to do Zaporski cossacks, but he sustained an injury that made it hard to paint, so the project was shelved. Some time later the infantry component was repurposed for my Polish themed ImagiNation.
In my attempt to find something to paint this week(Still lots of Napoleonic to go, but waiting on a shipment of bases), while searching through boxes I found my not unsubstantial Renaissance polish cavalry contingent. I have 32 hussars, 16 Pancerni, and 11 Rieters. 8 of the Pancerni were painted, and about 12 of the Hussars were half painted. I pulled out the hussars and had at them.
|32 TAG Polish Winged Hussars|
|TAG hussars done in the traditional red and white.|
|Winged Hussars in less traditional blue and yellow|
As always TAG miniatures are lovely models and fantastic to paint. I have 2 renaissance armies, and I've painted dozens of modern british and iraqis(which i then sold), so i have a great deal of experience with TAG.
I snipped off the white metal lances above the ball guard and drilled out the balls to replace it with music wire. I shaped the tip using a dremel with a grinding wheel.as with all my flags, the pennons are printed off, folded around the lances and glue together using carpenters glue. I wrap the pennons around the shaft of a narrow paint brush immediately after I've glued together the pennon, so when dry it takes the wavy shape. The carpenters glue makes them surprisingly resilient.
Finally, my mother made me this:
This is Japanese embroidery called Bunka. we took the reasonably famous picture by Angus McBride(below) and my mother recreated it in this rather unique form. I have yet to frame it, but when I do it will grace the wall of my game room!
|Original picture by Angus McBride|