Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hotlead peninsular game

So I'm putting on a game at this year's Hotlead In Stratford, Ontario. I decided to do peninsular war skirmish, as a way to get it kickstarted. it also allows me to use all the spanish buildings I have made to date.

I also took the opportunity to experiment with a fur terrain mat. i managed to find a place that was selling fur ends in a tan-brown for about $17CDN a meter. they had a 5x7 piece and I also grabbed a 2-foot piece to experiment on. The total bill was 54 bucks.

I used animal clippers to vary the length of the fur and to shave out the ruts for the road. I then used an airbrush to spray the colours on.


I used this tutorial HERE.  It was a fantastic resource.

9 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic!

    Quick obtuse comment: I read somewhere that, before the invention of the automobile, roads did NOT have grass meridians - the horses that pulled the carts (mostly 1 horse or mule carts) would have trampled out the grass in the center of the road. Not sure if that's true or not but it sounds plausible..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous scenery and I'm sure a delight to wargame on. Synthetic fur really is the way ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that comment by Unlucky General about the fake fur base-cloths. I am definitely going to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Steve that terrain looks incredible. Every time I look at your blog, I see something new to inspire me. Well done.- Mark D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And it looked even better at Hotlead. Too bad I was too busy to play in the game. It looked GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your terrain work looks fabulous - bravo. I really have to try out this teddybear fur approach... Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous looking battlefield, very realistic!!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete